Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

I'm not naming this post Bon Odori

From Fotopages:

"The Bon Festival is held during in Bon week, and people gathers at the near open-space or the parks, and dance with traditional Japanese music. The music should be happy music to welcome the ancestor's souls, and people have a duty to make a happy, mysterious, and welcoming mood. Moreover, the Bon Dance should be held inthe night because Japanese people believe that ancestors' souls come back in the night. "

No photos of orbs or any mysterious apparitions were caught on camera. Oh well, too bad.
I attended a Bon Odori yesterday. Did I enjoy it? Kinda. It's impossible to not enjoy it even a little when everyone else is so happy. Smile and the world smiles with you, huh?

Waterfall of photos:

This is probably only half the population there.

Artificial sun?

I'm such a tall photographer.

I lied. There's an orb posing for the camera.

"Honey, do you smell something?"
(we later discovered poop under the mat)

They could have improvised with sarongs.
(Those yukatas cost hundreds. Rich ppl T_T).

Food. Where there's sweets, there's ants.

Thanks guys, for preventing me from over-spending.

Cold noodles. Two-in-one; dinner and dessert.

I finally got through the moat of dancer impersonators
to get a shot of the real ones

The drummers at the back get no love.
They're working their butts off but barely anyone notices them (or their music either)

Ring around the rosie dance crew

You can skip this but I hope you won't
:
There was a horrible, stupid jam outside the stadium. Got stuck in it for over half an hour. Some people decided to parade all the way there instead, they had their cars parked outside somewhere I guess. My dad dropped me off at the junction near the stadium's entrance and I followed the procession in.
A little way into the stadium, some people were handing out Bon Odori fans like flyers (I got one too of course). Called Mredth and she played GPS with me on the phone to get me to the spot on the field she was at (a spot, literally). Her voice was near the volume of a fish's (crowd wouldn't shut up), but I got there miraculously.
Apr was away to get some food. I did the same and braved a mob of humans at the stalls. Most of the sellers at the stalls there were Japanese (surprisingly), and out of all I met, most of them weren't English savvy (did they fly all the way here from Japan? ). Half the people I passed by/ran into were Japanese as well. They didn't look it until they spoke though. They were...rather tanned (I thought some were Malays o.o). The food I bought was bearable. I've a habit of trying weird stuff.
I didn't see Crystl/Apr/Mredth till 8:something pm. Where were they? Clouded in the invisible breaths of CO2/water vapour/blah of strangers while they imitated the dancers on stage as they sweat with rest of the humans gathered in tree circles around the square called stage. I actually engaged myself in this unhygienic 'fun' activity with them in the next round (reader: r u some spoiled aristocrat?). C.A.M. (Crystl/Apr/Mredth) really enjoyed it. Me? Kinda (random person who was there: tat's cuz you SUCKED at dancing).
C.A.M. stopped when the stage dancers went for a break. I lost them again after I left them when they were lining up for ice shavings (topped with lotsa food coloring). So I ran back to HQ (the mat) and that's when I detected the very specific scent of poop in the air. I didn't wanna admit the fact that I sat on poop so I dismissed it for some stinky food from the people beside (Mrdth thought the same). After C.A.M. got back, Mredth's parents removed the mat and said hi to some bugs feasting on some Bon Odori special cat shit. T_T
Around 9.30pm, my Mom got through to Apr's phone and told me to wait outside; she and Dad were coming. Digi phone lines suck at such places. Mredth's parents were kind enough to wait with me. But they and C.A.M. left a while later. So I waited alone at the sidewalk. This blogpost is the utter proof that I wasn't kidnapped.


No comments:

Post a Comment