Pages

Friday, October 16, 2009

Yubikiri

'Pinky Swear', 'Pinky Promise' or 'Finger Cut Promise' (the direct eng translation for 'yubikiri') is the act of entwining two pinkies as a symbol of an agreement or promise. If my sources aren't wrong, it originated from Japan (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). It's made with an occasional short chant after entwining the pinkies which goes like: "Yubikiri genman, uso tsuitara hari senbon nomasu, yubi kitta," which roughly means, "Finger cut promise: If you're lying, may you drink a thousand needles and cut off your finger." Yep, it originally means the person who breaks the promise have to cut off their finger.

Yikes.

If I knew the story behind the 'pinky promise' when I was still a kid, I might have not done it so often. Ironically, all the friends who did this 'pinky promise'/'yubikiri' with me, back stabbed me in the end. How I know? Well, peace allows my brain to search through old files and discover things. Now I have roughly 25-35% of my memories back. However, I don't remember those friends cutting off their pinkies after they back stabbed me. Otherwise, the result will be a little horrific, wouldn't it? I had many friends who betrayed me afterall...*snickers at imagination*


(human: It'd be a
lot horrific! You actually prefer them to do it, right??
Dusky: *whistles*)

No comments:

Post a Comment